Individual excursions to Krk
Krk is the largest of Croatian islands and the most popular island in Croatia and is nicknamed as the “cradle of Croatian culture” and “the Golden island”. The first known town on the location where the town of Krk is located now was established by the Romans and was called Curicum. Varied beautiful landscapes, from rocky shores of the northwestern coastline and western forests to eastern sunburnt ridges, amazing beaches, mild Mediterranean climate and rich culture make Krk island a perfect destination for very different travelers from all around the world.
Start your visit with the capital of the island – the ancient City of Krk on the west coast. The city of Krk is one of the oldest settlements in the Adriatic region and its history as a tourist attraction spot began in the middle of the 19th century. The heart of the city is the Old Town of Krk and its 2000 years old fortification walls.
Take a walk around the seafront promenade and take a coffee in one of the many cozy caffes and bistros.
Marvel at the old Frankopan castle, built in the 12th-15th centuries by the famous and powerful Croatioan family of Frankopans and enjoy the impressive turquoise marine views.
Take a look at the Old Town Hall built during the Venetian period of the city at the Vela Placa Square.
Visit the Romanesque Cathedral of Krk built in the 5th century and the Sveti Kvirin church dedicated to the patron saint of the island and built in the 12th century. Don’t forget to get inside and marvel at the amazing collection of sacred artifacts.
Take a boat at Punat harbor and visit the island of Kosljun with a beautiful 16th century Franciscan monastery. The island is also a home to more than 400 various plant species, so do not hurry and take a calm walk around.
Climb up the old Kastel seafront fortress once protecting the island from the attacks of pirates and enjoy the amazing view.
Enjoy the cool air and take a look at the natural wonder of stalactites of Biserujka cave near Dobrinj village.
Take a day trip to one of the smaller islands: Losinh, Cres, Plavnik, Goli Otok or Grgur.
Have fun at the Aquarium and take a look at the church of St. Lucy at Baska. This church is famous because the Baska tablet, one of the oldest artefacts with Croatian Glagolic inscriptions, had been found here.
Visit the beautiful Krk National Park located in the valley of Krk river. You can go hiking, bird watching and even meet one of 860 animal species living there.
Go south and visit lovely Punat town and enjoy its idyllic Mediterranean charm and amazing beaches.
Go north and stroll along the charming streets of Omislaj town center.
On the east, you can visit the idyllic Vrbnik town, sitting atop the rock.
Relax in the healing spa mud bath in Soline.
Hike to the top of the highest mountain on the island – Obzovi and enjoy unique flora.
The island has many beaches to offer too:
- Beautiful Punta di Galetto has a great mix of pebble, stone and concrete beaches and is located just several minutes away from the old town.
- Picturesque Poroprela pebble beach offers clearest water and is surrounded by Mediterranean pines.
- Jezevach beach offers great camping site and wide range of various water activities.
- Fine pebble Portapisana beach offers amazing view on the old town.
- Picturesque Politin beach is very clean and well kept.
Food and drinks
The Krk island cuisine is kind of typical for the region: home made wine and olive oil, fresh fish and seafood, various spices and herbs are the trademark ingredients here. Of course, there are plenty of restaurants, bars and cafes for any occasion, taste and preferences:
- Get the traditional konoba tavern experience in Tri Maruna in Poljica village, Pud Brest in Milohnici village or at Konoba Bracera in Malinska.
- Go wine and cheese tasting at Konoba Nada in Vrbnik.
- Have a full dinner at the Frankopan restaurant.
- Have fun in Boa in Malinska and Casa Del Padrone nightclubs.
- Sip a cocktail and socialize in Vosonis bar in Krk city.